This year world-renowned lighting artist and Utah resident Richard Holdman has teamed up with the owners of the Midway Ice Castles to present a new and enchanting drive through Christmas lights display “Christmas In Color”.
Holdman, who travels globally to set up ornate lighting displays, is staying close to home this season to focus his efforts on Animated Color. “Let’s just say this is going to be big,” said Holdman. “Christmas in Color is one of my best projects yet. I can’t wait to see how Utahns react to it.”
Holdman has been designing the masterpiece that is “Christmas In Color” since early July. It’s been a dream of his for a while, and got its start as a hobby at his own home in 2006. You can watch an interview with him on the Salt Lake Tribune website.
We were able to check out a sneak preview this week, and we were definitely impressed. We’ve been to many of the other drive-through light displays, and this one is different in the fact that it not only has what the others have with lights synchronized to music, but new elements that I’ve never seen before such as multiple light tunnels, which were definitely our favorite element of the production. Watch a video of our favorite tunnel on our Facebook page.
“This is a light show unlike anything you’ve ever seen,” said Ryan Davis, who is an owner of Animated Color, as well as an owner of the popular Midway Ice Castles. “It’s completely captivating and will wow young kids and adults alike. I’m betting this will become a new tradition for many Utah families.”
When you arrive, you set your radio to a specific channel, and over the course of a mile-long winding drive you will watch a production of over 1 million LED lights synchronized to the music. I highly suggest taking your time, especially through the tunnels, so you can see how the different beats of music affect the lights.
I always get asked with attractions like this one “Is it worth the cost?” I am a huge advocate for paying people for their worth, and the amount of work and thought they have put into this is well worth the admission fee!! Tickets can only be purchased ahead of time online. See ticket information below.
What you need to know about Christmas In Color:
- DATES AND HOURS: Christmas in Color will be open to the public November 27, 2015 (TONIGHT!) through January 2, 2016 from 5:30 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. Monday-Thursday and from 5:30 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. Friday-Saturday (closed Sundays).
- PRICE: Tickets are $20 per vehicle Monday-Thursday and $25 per vehicle Friday-Saturday. Tickets must be purchased in advance at ChristmasInColor.net.
- Tickets are sold in slots of 30 minute increments, and are selling out fast! You can arrive anytime within the purchased 30 minute time period. Admission is not guaranteed if you arrive outside of your purchased time slot.
- LOCATION: Vehicles will enter on Ed Mayne Street at Oquirrh Park (next to the Olympic Oval) in Kearns, Utah, 84118. If you are familiar with the entrance for ice skating, this is where you will want to turn in. If you are not familiar with the area, there are signs that you can watch for on where to turn in. They have everything clearly marked.
- Please note that there is no limit on the number of occupants per vehicle, but vehicle height is limited to 10 feet. Buses, limos and trailers are prohibited.